How to sew a dress!

 To me, there are three important factors when making a dress, and three important steps. Here are the factors you need to consider before you get sewing. 

1. What fabric are you using? 

Make sure that the fabric isn’t to thick to sew through, and isn’t too thin for hand sewing. Pick out a simple fabric for your first project, like a cotton or rayon. As you progress, try using silks and maybe even work some lace or tulle into your project. 

2. What tools do you have available? 

Would you like to use a sewing machine, or hand sew? If you are using a machine, make sure you know how to thread the bobbin and needle. Go over the manual carefully with an experienced sewer to help you. Keep a box nearby that you can customize with stickers and glitter ✨ and fill it with the things you’ll need when using a sewing machine: empty bobbins, string, the manual, a needle threader. 

If you are hand sewing you’ll need some different materials: pins (safety pins work too), a pin cushion, a thimble (so you don’t poke yourself!), and assorted needles. Keep all the sharp bits like the pins and needles in a small compartment so you don’t lose them. 

What is my personal preference? Hand sewing or machine? I love a mix. I use the machine for the basic construction of sewing the sides and hems. It is much easier than hand sewing. But for tiny details like lace edging or buttons, I use a simple needle and thread. 


3. Where are you going to wear your outfit? 

When first starting out, you’ll have huge grand ideas. Believe me, I know the feeling. One of the first dresses I sketched out was a mass of black silk and gold lining. It had ruffled sleeves, a tiered skirt, slits, a sweetheart neckline, the works. My ideas never made it on the mannequin. 

So you’ll need to have realistic expectations. Your first project is not going to be perfect. In fact, it will be far from perfect. 

My first sewed outfit was barely wearable, with frayed ends and UGH it was not good. But now that I’ve progressed, I’ve gotten better and it has all gotten easier. 

So really plan where you are going to wear your outfit, and if you can really put your dreams into reality. 


Now, for the steps! 


1. Sketch it out. 

Plan everything. For these steps, I’m going to use my current project as an example. I’m making a winter dress with a sweetheart neckline, a halter top, and a draped back with a train. I had to carefully sketch it out a head of time, thinking about how it would drape on the mannequin. It made everything easier than just plunging blindly ahead. 


2. Pin it. 

Pin it carefully to your mannequin, or your model, in the shape you want. Try it on and make any alterations. Make sure you try it on, so that it won’t be too tight or too baggy. 

Turn it inside out before you sew it. 

3. Sew it! 

Carefully hand stitch or sewing machine it. Take out the pins as you go. To make a hem, simply fold over the jagged edges, and sew a straight line. Take your time, and don’t expect everything to be perfect. 

Turn it right side out, and try it on. Make any alterations, and sew over anything you need to fix. Then place it on a model or mannequin and add the extra details. 

A few detail ideas:

Do some creative stitches. Make squares or stars by crossing over different stitches. 

Add a button 

Sew on a zipper 

Add a finger knitted scarf, belt, or wrap

Make a matching tote bag


Happy sewing! God loves you and so do I!  

Comments

  1. That is so inspiring- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a great, detailed article. Makes me feel like even I could sew a dress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas to do list:

A Socially Awkward Teen

Easiest Slime Recipe