I’m sewing my own clothes now. . . And so can you!!!!

 Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you had a lovely holiday celebrating Jesus’ birth. I took a two day break from blogging to spend time with family, but now I’m back and craftier than ever! 

In fact, I’m in the middle of hand sewing my own clothes! Let me tell you a little bit about my new obsession.

Making your own clothes is great for a multitude of reasons. Like: 

1. You’re not buying clothes all the time.

2. You can make your own style, one that you can’t find in a store.

3. You’ll feel so proud of each garment you make.

4. You can show the world who you really are on the inside, especially if you’re too shy to fully express yourself. 

So, as you can see, making your own clothes is pretty awesome. 

I’m currently making a coat/vest/shrug, and I thought I’d show you how to make your own!!!! Yes, soon you’ll have an easily crafted, suuuuper chic vest, that you made YOURSELF!!!! I am so excited. 


If you need inspiration for your fabrics and own style, check out my post “Friday Fashion Design” to make a fashion inspiration booklet. 

I already have a pretty fabric selected: a deep green pattern. Here are the supplies you’ll need to get started. 

1. A mannequin. I mean, you don’t really NEED one, but they sure help! If you don’t have one, consider using one of your family members to help model your outfit. 

2. Fabric, of course. You can’t exactly wear air! 

3. Sewing machine, or needle and thread. I like to use both in different situations, but I’m going to use good old fashioned needle and thread for this project, because I can have more control over my stitches this way. 

4. Fabric tape and/or accessories. These are optional but fun to use! Let me tell you a bit about fabric tape. 

Fabric tape is an adhesive you can use to join two pieces of fabric. It is laundry-friendly. You can use it for tricky folds and rips, but do not use it to make your entire garment. Believe me, I tried. 

Under no circumstances whatsoever can you use hot glue to make clothes. It will MELT in the laundry machine, and RUIN it. So yeah, please don’t.

My favorite accessories are big, chunky buttons and brooches. I used to have my ears pierced, but: 

The holes got infected

Huge bumps formed on my earlobes

My father wanted to cut off the bumps (not my ears, don’t worry, I’m not Van Gogh) 

Instead, I let the holes close up. 

Good decision, eh? 

    Anyway, I now have a bunch of obsolete earrings, that I reposed as brooches. They look very cute. 


So, pick out your fabrics and accessories, and I’ll get back to you with another fashion post soon.  

Love you all, bye! 


Comments

  1. I never thought to use hot glue before, but now I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Christian CrafterDecember 27, 2022 at 9:05 AM

    Umm, I would advise against it, but it’s your dryer! 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas to do list:

A Socially Awkward Teen

Easiest Slime Recipe